Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Cure for Snoring

All I wanted was a new bed. A new bed and a good deal. A new luxurious bed that wasn't weighted down (supposedly) by sweat and dust mites after sleeping on it for 8 years. Those radio commercials really got me when the little dust mites voices called out, "more skin flakes, please."
I went alone to the bed store and the salesman brought me to this plush, lovely mattress that felt heavenly to lay on. Will it hold a man who weighs over 200? I ask.
Sure, yeah, look, he leans on it and gives it a big fat nudge. I wasn't that impressed with that little bit of salesmanship, but I really loved the feel of the bed. It cushioned my every curve.
Hubby comes with me a few days later and we lay down on the bed, and he agrees, it feels good. We buy only the mattress, thinking our box spring and bed frame were still good. The mattress comes a few days later, and I love it, really love it, until I realize I roll into my hubby as his size creates a crater. Why didn't I notice this in the store? And doing the you-know-what, the damn thing just bottomed out!
What a tremendous disappointment. I won't go into the phone calls that ensued, because the whining alone will annoy you.
Needless to say, I exchange the beloved mattress (while in bed by myself) for a much more expensive mattress, a new frame with middle supports, and a new box spring. Plus, I thought the sheets would be lovely because they told me so.
Why do mattresses feel better in the store than they do at home? And, I hated the new sheets they toted as so great. Hated them, they felt scratchy and nasty.
When Hubby got in the new bed, he said he felt like he was getting on an aircraft carrier. That first night was miserable, but, I didn't roll into him, that's for sure. He slept like a rock.
I bought one of those foam egg crate pads. No, still felt that hard hard mattress. I bought another one, my hips and shoulders still hurt! I turned them so the "dips" of the egg crate shape faced each other. Success. The mattress felt soft, yet firm, I didn't roll into Hubby because the aircraft carrier upheld his weight. The you-know-what was fully supported, lol, and miracles of miracles, Hubby's snoring has turned into gentle little wisps of air. A firm mattress: the cure for big bad snoring? So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment